This record was kindly provided by the generous assistance of Tony Cooper

                A 500-TON U-BOAT, SUNK ON 13th JANUARY, 1943, BY
                  H.M.C.S. "VILLE DE QUEBEC."  
          "U 224" (Oberleutnant zur See Kosbadt) was sunk in position 36° 28' N., 00° 49' E., at 1558 B.S.T. on 13th January, 1943, by H.M.C.S. "Ville de Quebec."  
          The sole survivor was her First Lieutenant, Leutnant zur See Danckworth, who arrived at the United Kingdom Interrogation Centre on 1st March, 1943, after a period in a prisoner of war camp in North Africa.  
          It was some time before Danckworth consented to reveal the number of his boat or the name of his commanding officer.  
          "U 224" spent only about two months working-up - about half the time normally taken hitherto.  This remarkably short time was, according to the sole survivor, due to the efficiency of her ship's company and was considered exceptional.  (See Appendices "A" and "B.")  
          The following are the British equivalents of German naval ranks used in this report:  
Kapitän zur See Captain.
Fregattenkapitän Commander (Senior Grade).
Korvettenkapitän Commander (Junior Grade).
Kapitänleutnant Lieutenant-Commander.
Oberleutnant zur See Lieutenant.
Leutnant zur See Sub-Lieutenant.
          The suffix "der Reserve" indicates a reserve officer, and of "(Ing.)" an engineer officer.  
II.  DETAILS OF "U 224 "
  (i)  Displacement  
          500 tons.  
  (ii)  Type  
          VII C.  
  (iii)  Builders  
          Germania Yards, Kiel.  
  (iv)  German Search Receiver  
          Fitted during final adjustments.  
  (v)  S.B.T.  
  (vi)  R.D.F.  
          None; but her bridge had been prepared for its installation on making port.  
  (vii)  R/T  
  (viii)  U/T  
  (ix)  Hydrophones  
          Fitted with G.H.G.  
  (x)  Echo-Sounder  
  (xi)  "Electrolot"  
  (xii)  German Asdic  
  (xiii)  K.D.B.  
  (C48728)                                                                                                                    B* 2  


  (xiv)  Torpedoes  
          Twelve electric only on last patrol.  They were probably fitted with a new type of depth-setting gear.  Upper deck containers removed before commencing last patrol.  
          (N.I.D. Note.  A summary of recent prisoner of war information on new type German torpedoes will be published in C.B. 04051 (64) ).  
  (xv)  Diesels  
          Two 6-cylinder G.W.  
          The sole survivor gave no further information regarding the details of "U 224," but it may be assumed that she was in most respects similar to 500-tonners from which prisoners have recently been captured.  
  (i)  Departure from St. Nazaire  
          "U 224" sailed on her last patrol from St. Nazaire in the forenoon of 3rd January, 1943.  Danckworth had spent the days prior to sailing in Paris, from there he returned with a considerable hangover.  It was his impression on sailing that his boat was bound for the North American coast.  This feeling was strengthened by the fact that a few hours before sailing the ship's company was issued with fur coats.  
          On leaving St. Nazaire, "U 224" steered a southerly course and it became gradually warmer.  
  (ii)  Passage to Gibraltar  
          On 6th January, Kosbadt informed his ship's company that they were bound for the Mediterranean.  They were to be based on La Spezia, where they were to be attached to the 29th Flotilla.  They expected to arrive early in February, after patrolling in the Mediterranean.  Danckworth discovered that the Second Lieutenant had known his boat's destination since sailing, but had not divulged it.  
  (iii)  Passage of Straits of Gibraltar  
          The passage of the Straits of Gibraltar was made by night, commencing at about 2100.  Danckworth said that the Admiral U-Boat's orders are not to commence the passage while the moon is up.  He admitted that the moon was not yet down when "U 224" began the passage, but explained that it was hidden behind clouds.  The moon did not set that night until 2200.  
          Soon after beginning the passage, "U 224" wa sighted by an M.T.B. which challenged her.  Kosbadt did not know what reply to make and consequently submerged.  There was no depth charge attack, and "U 224" surfaced after half an hour and continued on her way.  
          Kosbadt, Danckworth, the Second Lieutenant and a seaman Petty Officer were on the bridge.  At one point, which Danckworth described as "getting narrower," the lookout reported a shadow bearing Red 20.  A moment later he reported a second shadow close to the first.
          Kosbadt ordered one of his Diesels to be stopped and reduced speed on the other to "dead slow," so as to make as little noise as possible.  Meanwhile, the two shadows came to within 1,000 yards of "U 224."  When they were about 800 yards distant, they both altered course to starboard, so that the bearing increased to 90°.  
          "U 224" then crossed their bows at about 700 yards range.  All on board were convinced that they were destroyers.  
          Danckworth expressed great regret that "U 224" had not torpedoed both vessels.  He blamed his captain for not having considered such a course soon enough.  "U 224" did in fact, fire one torpedo at them but it missed and exploded on the opposite shore.  
          "U 224" entered the Straits close to the southern shore, keeping in deep water throughout.  Apart from one dive she remained on the surface until opposite Europa Point, which Danckworth said he recognized clearly, as well as Algeciras and Algeciras Bay.  
  (iv)  Attack by Aircraft  
          When opposite Europa Point, at about 0400, "U 224" was sighted by an aircraft and immediately submerged.  Danckworth said that the aircraft hunted for his U-Boat for an hour afterwards.  He said he believed it was fitted with some type of search gear for this purpose.  
  (v)  "U 224" Surfaces  
          "U 224" remained submerged the whole of the following day, steering an easterly course.  She did not surface until nightfall, in a position some 30 miles distant from where she had dived.  
          Danckworth did not know whether any other U-Boats had made the passage at the same time as "U 224," explaining that orders were always most secret on such occasions.  He added that "U 224" would not have been ordered to the Mediterranean, were it not for Hitler's dictum that there must always be a certain number of U-Boats operating there.  


          On completion of the passage of the Straits of Gibraltar, "U 224" patrolled for some days in the area east of Gibraltar.  Aircraft alarms were numerous.  One day she was forced to crash-dive six times and the next she remained submerged all the daylight hours.  
          In the course of the afternoon of 13th January, 1943, "U 224" heard H.E. while submerged deep, and Kosbadt immediately came to periscope depth, at which he sighted a convoy of 16 ships about 3,000 yards distant.  
          (N.I.D. Note.  This was Convoy T.E.13, then steering a course of 77° at 7-1/2 knots.  Wind; West, Force 5.  Sea:  35.  Visibility:  12 miles.)  
          Danckworth said "U 224" had been warned to expect this convoy by Captain (S) Mediterranean.  
          Kosbadt approached to within 4,000 yards abeam of the convoy and selected what Danckworth described as a 14,000-ton tanker as his target.  He intended to fire a salvo of four torpedoes- three of a "new" type - and asked Danckworth what he considered the best depth setting to use, bearing in mind the tanker's draught.  Danckworth suggested 4.50 metres (14.75 ft.), and it was finally decided to set one "new" type torpedo at 5.50 metres (18 ft.), another a 5.0 metres (16.54 ft.) and a third at 4.50 metres (14.75 ft.).  The fourth torpedo, described as an ordinary G.7e type, was set at 3.50 metres (11.5 ft.).  "U 224" then approached to within 3,500 metres of her target, proceeding dead slow, her torpedo caps open.  It was "U 224's" first submerged attack.  
          She was just about to fire her four torpedoes when Kosbadt sighted a corvette closing him.  He accordingly submerged to 20 metres (65 ft.).  
          (N.I.D. Note.  So far as is known, no torpedoes were fired at the convoy.  The "new" type torpedoes were most probably fitted with an improved type of depth setting gear, which will be referred to in C.B. 04051 (64).)  
          The corvette was so close that those in "U 224" heard her propellers directly overhead.  Kosbadt gave the order "Full speed ahead! On life-jackets!" and added that a depth-charge attack might be expected.  Several depth-charge explosions thereupon took place, "U 224" meanwhile keeping a steady course at full speed.  
          (N.I.D. Note.  At 1558 H.M.C.S. "Ville de Quebec," on course 100°, 4,000 yards ahead of Convoy T.E.13, obtained an Asdic contact 15 on the starboard bow at 900 yards and classified it as "submarine."  The bearing was moving rapidly right, doppler closing.  The ship was turned towards the contact and full speed ordered.  A signal was passed to the commodore in S.S. "Lycaon" ordering an emergency turn to port.  On a course of 190°, "Ville de Quebec" at 1604 fired a pattern of ten Mark VII depth-charges with depth settings of 150 and 300 ft.)  
          These depth-charges caused considerable damage to "U 224," and there was a water entry forward.  The first explosion extinguished her main lighting.  The Engineer Officer reported that the boat was no longer capable of diving and Kosbadt ordered her to be brought to the surface.  He told Danckworth to go on the bridge and report on the damage.  
          Danckworth took his life-jacket in his hand, opened the conning-tower hatch and put his head out over the conning tower.  Meanwhile the motors were running at full speed.  
          As soon as his head appeared, "U 224" was peppered with gunfire.  Danckworth says he remembered seeing the bow of a ship bearing down on him, and after that he remembered nothing more except that he was at one moment some 5 to 6 yards below the surface and automatically making swimming movements.  
          (N.I.D. Note.  At 1608 the U-Boat surfaced in the centre of the depth-charge pattern, her bow rising some 20 ft. into the air.  All "Ville de Quebec's" starboard Oerlikons opened fire at once and the ship turned to ram.  The port bridge Oerlikon opened fire as soon as it could bear.  To avoid damage to the propellers, "Stop engines" was ordered about 10 yards from the U-Boat, which was rammed between the conning-tower and the forward gun.  One man was seen trying to get out on the conning-tower and one man in the conning-tower, but the gunfire kept him down.  As the ram was effected, the U-Boat's hatch was seen to be open and one man was thrown clear as the U-Boat rolled over.  Her stern was last seen abreast of "Ville de Quebec's" stern, the boat sinking at about 1608 in position 36° 28' N 00° 49' E.)  
          After a short while Danckworth found himself swimming on the surface without life-jacket.  He heard the sound of a large explosion and asked himself whether more depth-charges were being fired.  As he saw no water columns, however, he concluded that this was not the case.  
          (N.I.D. Note.  At 1610 a heavy under-water explosion was felt, thought to be due to the detonation of air bottles, and bubbles was seen to break surface.)  
          Danckworth then saw five corvettes around him.  Men in one of them were shouting that they had sighted him.  He also saw four aircraft.  His hopes of being rescued revived sharply and he started to shout to attract attention.  A corvette came alongside him, but her was unable to catch hold of a rope thrown to him, as she was going too fast.  
          After a further period of swimming he got a cramp in his right leg.  He tried to undress, but could not.  Another twenty minutes elapsed before the same corvette made another attempt to rescue him, but this also proved unsuccessful.  The corvette made a third attempt at rescue and succeeded in getting a lifebelt to him.  Danckworth was most impressed by the rescue efforts made.  
          (N.I.D. Note.  He was picked up by H.M.C.S. "Port Arthur," who subsequently also examined a helmet, cork insulation and a wooden clothes locker.)  
          Danckworth said he did not think that "U 224" had made her base.


  (i)  British Depth-charges  
          Danckworth said that British depth-charges can be set up to 120 metres (about 394 ft.).  
  (ii)  Torpedoes  
         Danckworth spoke of the existence of a new type of torpedo.  
          (N.I.D. Note.  It is proposed to publish a collation of recent prisoner of war information on German new type torpedoes in C.B. 04051 (64) ).  
  (iii)  U-Boats in Mediterranean  
          Hitler is alleged to have given orders that a certain fixed number of U-Boats must always be in the Mediterranean.  If one of them is sunk, she is immediately replaced by another.  U-Boat losses in the Mediterranean have been proportionally much greater than in the Atlantic.  
          (N.I.D. Note.  There is no reason to suppose that when U-Boats are sunk in the Mediterranean, they are immediately replaced, though fresh boats do from time to time enter the Mediterranean.)  
  (iv)  U-Boat Construction  
          The "Volkswerke" at Fallsesleben (Mannover district) are making sections of pressure hulls for U-Boats.  These are then transported to the building yards, where they are assembled.  
  (v)  U-Boats with Turbines  
          Danckworth said that owing to British A/S methods the present U-Boat, in his opinion, is now far too slow.  In order to remedy this defect, it would be necessary to build a U-Boat capable of 35 knots on the surface.  Danckworth thought this was impossible with Diesel engines, and therefore Germany was developing U-Boats fitted with turbines and had already in fact launched such boats.  These are of 500 tons and are capable of 28 knots.  He was not sure whether a steam turbine was used.  He added that experimental boats of this type had already run successful trials over a radius of action of 100 miles.  The installation of this turbine eliminated the necessity of carrying electric motors.  The boat could proceed on her turbines both surfaced and submerged.  
          (N.I.D. Note.  There is no confirmation of this method of propulsion.)  
  (vi)  Command of U-Boats
          There are now several Leutnant zur See (Sub-Lieutenants) in command of U-Boats.  
  (vii)  Convoys in Gibraltar Area  
          U-Boats do not normally attack coastal convoys near Gibraltar.  They consider that they are too strongly escorted and composed of such small vessels that the risks of attack are not worth taking.  
  (viii)  Bilge Pumps  
          U-Boats have been built with bilge pumps that operate at depths up to 150 metres (492 ft.).  Such boats are, according to Danckworth, 5 metres longer than usual.  
  (ix)  Sea Force and U-Boat Operations  
          Danckworth said that a sea Force 5 was ideal for U-Boat operations.  This meant that the sea was choppy enough to afford concealment to the boat, without unduly interfering with torpedo-firing or with the comfort of the bridge-watch.  
  (x)  G.S.R.  
          Danckworth said that G.S.R. was not normally used in a rough sea, as it was impossible to place the aerial in position if the conning-tower hatch had to be closed.  He added that, in daytime in fine weather with good visibility, it was customary not to put the aerial in position, but to rely instead on visual methods of aircraft detection.  
  (xi)  U-Boats with E-Boat Engines  
          Danckworth said that he had seen a 1,200-ton U-Boat with E-boat engines at Hela.  
          (N.I.D. Note.  Engines of this type would require much more maintenance than the medium speed engines usually fitted in a U-Boat.  They would therefore be more limited operationally.)  


  (i)  Raiders  
         Danckworth said that Germany is no longer sending Raiders to sea.  Germany felt that U-Boats alone were sufficient in the Atlantic, while the Pacific and Indian Oceans were Japanese territory.  
  (ii)  Torpedo Boat "Leopard" (ex-Norwegian "Balder")  
          The ex-Norwegian torpedo boat "Balder" (625 gross tons) has been renamed "Leopard" by the Germans.  Her armament remains the same as previously.  
  (iii)  "Graf Zeppelin"  
          The aircraft carrier "Graf Zeppelin" has been reconstructed on Japanese lines.  There is, for instance, no superstructure above the flight deck.  She will be placed in commission as soon as completed.  This is expected to be shortly.  
          (N.I.D. Note.  This report is not supported by photographic evidence.)  
  (i)  St. Nazaire  
          Danckworth said that the effect of aerial bombardment on the U-Boat shelters at St. Nazaire had been negligible.  No 2,000 kilogramme (4,000 lb.) bomb had penetrated the shelters, which had recently been reinforced.  Bombs which fell in front of the shelters had knocked down many persons inside them by the blast, but had done no harm to the U-Boats inside.  He added that a new lock was being built for U-Boat traffic; it would have a thick concrete roof.  The "Normandie" lock was also being repaired.  
          (N.I.D. Note.  The above is probably quite true.)  
  (ii)  Paris
          Danckworth said that he had lunched in Paris with the Admiral U-Boats, in a big mansion overlooking a park.  
          (N.I.D. Note.  This may be on the Boulevard Souchet; facing the Bois de Boulogne.)  
          Kapitänleutnant Freiherr Hans Dietrich von Tiesenhausen, captain of "U 331," sunk 17th November, 1942 (see C.B. 04051 (56) ), gave the following views regarding the changes in the German Naval High Command following upon the promotion of Admiral Dönitz to the post of Supreme Commander of the Navy (Oberbefehlshaber der Kriegsmarine).  They are of especial interest in view of Tiesenhausen's visits to the German Admiralty, and to Admiral Fricke in particular, shortly before his last patrol.  
                  (1)  The reshuffle is entirely due to Dönitz's promotion to the supreme command.  In the German navy it is not usual for older officers to serve under younger men.  Consequently, if a younger man is promoted over them, they often seek an excuse to retire or be transferred.  This is what has now taken place.  
                  (2)  Several of the retiring officers, notably Generaladmiral Boehm, until lately C.-in-C., Norway, have for some time past been anxious to retire on the grounds of old age.  
                  (3)  It is possible, though by no means certain, that the appointment of so many former captains of major units to posts in the north may presage the more energetic use of Germany's surface ships.  He ridiculed the suggestion that there has been a difference of opinion between Raeder and Dönitz over the employment of surface ship personnel in U-Boats.  
                 (4)  He was impressed by Admiral Fricke's appointment to be C.-in-C. South.  He believed Fricke to be energetic and capable, and thought that his appointment must indicate more activity in this area.  
          Danckworth gave it as his view that the recent changes indubitably implied the more energetic use of the German High Seas Fleet.  He also believed that it was the intention to operate the aircraft-carrier "Graf Zeppelin" as soon as she was completed.  


  (i)  Commissioning  
          "U 224" was commissioned on 20th June, 1942, at the Germania Yards, Kiel.  The occasion was celebrated by a luncheon party in the depôt ship "Sierra Cordoba."  
  (ii)  U-Boats Acceptance Command.  (Approximately 20th-25th June)  
          Immediately following her commissioning, "U 224" ran her trials with the U-Boats Acceptance Command.  These lasted for only a few days and followed the normal routine.  
  (iii)  Silent Running Tests.  (Approximately 26th-29th June)  
          "U 224" then visited Rönne, on the Island of Bornholm, for her silent running tests.  These lasted for two days.  
  (iv)  Preliminary Torpedo Firing Trials.  (Approximately 28th June-1st July)  
          This was followed by a visit of about three days' duration to Gdynia, where "U 224" underwent her preliminary torpedo firing trials.  These consisted solely of testing her tubes with dummy torpedoes.  
  (v)  "Agru-Front."  (Approximately 1st-17th July)  
          "U 224" then proceeded to Hela, where she spent about three weeks doing her "Agru-Front" trials.  Kapitänleutnant (Ing.) Gerd Suhren, in command of the "Agru-Front," sailed in her on at least one occasion.  
  (vi)  Gunnery and Final Torpedo Firing Trials.  (Approximately 17th-25rh July)  
          She then proceeded to Pillau for her gunnery and final torpedo firing trials.  These lasted for one week.  
  (vii)  Tactical Exercises.  (Approximately 25th July-10th August)  
          The visit to Pillau was followed by the normal tactical exercises in the Baltic, during which she was based in Danzig.  These lasted about a fortnight.  
  (viii)  Final Adjustments.  (Approximately 10th August-6th September)  
          Having completed working up, "U 224" returned to the Germania Yards, Kiel, for final adjustments lasting about one month.  Her ship's company were given leave in watches.  The German Search Receiver was built in at this stage.  
          "U 224" thus completed her working-up in an extremely short period.  "U 223," although commissioned before "U 224," had not completed working up when "U 224" went to Kiel for final adjustments.  
  (a)  First Patrol  
          (i)  Departure from Kiel  
                  "U 224" sailed on her first patrol from Kiel early in September, 1942.  She proceeded via the Great Belt, Kattegat and Skagerrak.  
          (ii)  Call at Kristiansand S.  
                  She called at Kristiansand S. for one night, during which most of her ship's company went ashore.  Danckworth himself paid a visit to the local hospital, where an injured hand was treated.  
          (iii)  Sighting of Convoy  
                  "U 224" proceeded from Kristiansand S. without further calls up the coast of Norway and finally passed through the Rosengarten into the Atlantic.  Soon after the passage of the Rosengarten she sighted an Iceland-bound convoy, but did not attack owing to the presence of numerous aircraft.  
          (iv)  Period in Patrol Line  
                  After sighting the Iceland-bound convoy, "U 224" received orders from the Admiral U-Boats, instructing her to proceed to a position in a patrol line over towards the coast of Newfoundland.  
                  Kosbadt, according to Danckworth, exercised bad judgment in proceeding much too fast towards this position and even at this early stage it became apparent that a shortage of fuel might ensue.  During the relatively short period that "U 224" was in her patrol line she sighted nothing and received no orders to attack.  
                  She then signalled the Admiral calling attention to the state of her fuel and was given permission to return to base.  
          (v)  Sinking of "Liberty" Ship  
                  On her way back to base "U 224" sighted what Danckworth described as an England-bound "Liberty" ship one evening shortly before sundown in approximate position 49° N., 14° W.  She fired one torpedo, which found its mark, followed by another shortly afterwards as a coup de grâce.  The ship sank in ten minutes.  
                  (N.I.D. Note.  It is not known to what incident the prisoner is referring.  There is no record of any such sinking.)  
                  Kosbadt claimed 7-8,000 tons for this ship, but Danckworth himself claimed that he would have been justified in claiming 10,000.  
          (vi)  "U 224" makes Base  
                  "U 224" made her base at St. Nazaire about 27th September, 1942.  She was attached to the 7th U-Boat Flotilla.  She did not remain long in harbour.  After landing a sick man and taking on board his relief she made immediate preparations to put to sea again.  


  (b)  Second Patrol  
          (i)  Departure from St. Nazaire  
                 "U 224" sailed from St. Nazaire on her second patrol on 3rd October, 1942.  
          (ii)  Position in Patrol Line Adopted  
                 She sailed immediately to a position in a patrol line about 25° W. where she remained for some time.  
          (iii)  First Convoy Attack  
                  "U 224" next received orders to proceed at full speed to a position off the coast of Newfoundland and there to attack a westbound convoy.  
                  This caused Kosbadt some irritation, as he and all the captains in this vicinity fully expected a convoy around 25° W, and had not anticipated operations so far west.  
                  Seven or eight U-Boats from this patrol line nevertheless were ordered to the new position.  
          (iv)  Sinking of 6,000-tonner  
                  In a position off the Grand Banks, "U 224" contacted the convoy and sank one ship estimated at about 6,000 gross tons in mid-November, 1942.  This she did by firing a salvo of four torpedoes into the convoy; one of them hit.  Immediately after the sinking "U 224" withdrew on the surface.  She then sighted a destroyer bearing about 30° from her and submerged.  There was no depth-charge attack.  
                  While submerged, "U 224" reloaded her tubes.  The weather at this stage was very bad.  
                  (N.I.D. Note.  On the night of 17th/18th November, 1942, the following ships of Convoy O.N.S.144 were torpedoed in approximate position 54° 30' N., 37° 10' W.:  
                          British "President Sergent" (5,344 gross tons).  
                          British "Widestone" (3,192 gross tons).  
                          United States "Yaka" (5,432 gross tons).  
                          Greek "Moncha D. "Kydoniefs" (3,874 gross tons).  
                          Greek "Mount Taurus" (6,696 gross tons).
                          United States "Parismina" (4,732 gross tons).)  
          (v)  Second Convoy Attack  
                  On surfacing, "U 224" received new orders.  She was instructed to proceed to a position further east, where she was to engage an east-bound convoy.  
                  A few days later she sighted the convoy indicated, but was prevented from attacking owing to the state of the weather.  She accordingly followed it astern for several days.  
          (vi)  Sinking of a Straggler  
          One night while following this convoy, with the weather still very bad, "U 224" sighted one of the convoy's ships stopped and ablaze.  She approached to investigate and, having ascertained that the ship would ultimately sink she passed on, steering to port of the convoy.  
                  Suddenly she sighted a straggler appearing out of a rain squall and fired two torpedoes at her.  The first missed , but the second scored a hit and the ship broke in two, sinking almost immediately.  There were, as far as Danckworth was aware, no survivors.  
                  (N.I.D. Note.  This may have been S.S. Ocean Crusader." a straggler from Convoy H.X.216, which was reported overdue and missing on 26th November, 1942.  There were no survivors.)  
          (vii)  "U 224" Refuels  
                  At this stage Kosbadt finding himself short of fuel, signalled Admiral U-Boats, to this effect.  He thereupon received orders to proceed to a given position north of the Azores and there to rendezvous with a supply U-Boat, commanded by Oberleutnant zur See "Sam" Schwantke, of the 1938 term.  
                  At this rendezvous, "U 224" only took just sufficient fuel to enable her to make her base.  
          (viii)  Return to base  
                  On passage back to base, "U 224" received orders to proceed to Brest instead of St. Nazaire, as the latter port was temporarily too full.  
                  She arrived at Brest on 16th December, 1942, and lay in the shelters.  
                  After two or three days, she proceeded to St. Nazaire, where she also entered the shelters.  


  (i)  Complement  
          "U 224's"  complement totalled forty-five of whom four were officers, three C.P.O.s, twelve P.O.s and twenty-six other ratings.  
  (ii)  Captain  
          The captain was Oberleutnant zur See Kosbadt, of the April, 1937, term.  It was his first command, though he had done six or seven patrols previously as a watchkeeping officer.  He was previously Second Lieutenant in "U 94" under Kapitänleutnant Herbert Kuppisch, being promoted to First Lieutenant when Oberleutnant Otto Ites relieved Kuppisch  
  (iii)  First Lieutenant  
          The First Lieutenant was Leutnant zur See Wolf Dietrich Danckworth, of the 1938 term.  He was the sole survivor.  He joined the navy in December, 1938 to Stralsund, where he underwent preliminary disciplinary training for five months.  This was followed by four months in the sailing training ship "Albert Leo Schlageter."  In June, 1939, he was promoted officer cadet and drafted to "Schlerwig-Holstein," in which he remained until August, 1939, when he went to the Naval College at Flensburg.  Here he went sick and was granted extended leave.  In spring, 1940, he went to the Naval College at Kiel and then returned to Flensburg to complete his unfinished course.  In September, 1940, he was appointed to the ex-Norwegian torpedo-boat "Leopard" (formerly ("Balder"), whose duties were escorting U-Boats on tactical exercises in the Baltic and later convoy work in the Kattegat.  In spring 1941, he was promoted Senior Midshipman and volunteered for the U-Boat arm, proceeding to the 1st U-Boat Training Division at Pillau.  In June, 1941, he proceeded to Flensburg and then back to Pillau taking courses at both places.  He was commissioned in Autumn, 1941, when he was appointed First Lieutenant in "U 72" a school boat commanded by Kapitänleutnant Meer, with whom he remained until the commissioning of "U 224."  
          Danckworth was due to be given his own command after this patrol, but had asked to stay on for another two patrols, as he thought he could learn so much from Kosbadt.  
  (iv)  Second Lieutenant  
          The Second Leutnant was Leutnant zur See der Reserve Karl Schaefer.  He was formerly an Oberbootsmann der Reserve, and was commissioned in July, 1942 while "U 224" was working up.  He was aged 22.  
  (v)  Engineer Officer  
          The Engineer Officer was Leutnant (Ing.) Max Haboeck, aged 24.  It was his first U-Boat appointment.  He had entered the German Navy in 1938.
  (vi)  General  
          Danckworth said that the officers of "U 224" all got on very well together and his was a happy ship.  
          He described all the seamen as thoroughly satisfactory and all relatively experienced.  Three of them had made eight previous patrols.  For each technical duty, there was at least one man with previous operational experience.  
  (C48728)  425  5/43  



Click the icons to view the associated records

Return to the British Interrogation Reports page